|Birth||April 1, 1692 (Philippsthal)|
|Death||May 13, 1761 (Breda)|
William of Hesse-Philippsthal-Barchfeld (1 April 1692 – 13 May 1761) was a member of the House of Hesse and was Landgrave of Hesse-Philippsthal-Barchfeld from 1721 to 1761.
William was a younger son of Landgrave Philip of Hesse-Philippsthal from his marriage to Catherine Amalie (1654–1736), daughter of Count Karl Otto of Solms-Laubach.
Wilhelm founded the non-sovereign line Hesse-Philippsthal-Barchfeld of the House of Hesse in 1721, after the death of his father, who had left him Barchfeld and Herleshausen in his will. Between 1690 and 1732 he built the baroque Wilhelmsburg Castle with three wings, which was named after him, in Barchfeld.
He served in the Hessian army and later in the Dutch army. In 1732, he was appointed governor of Ypres. In 1733, he was promoted to lieutenant general of the cavalry. In 1743, he led the Dutch troops in the War of the Austrian Succession. In 1744, he had to surrender Ypres to the French. He fought in the Battle of Fontenoy and defended Bergen op Zoom and Mons. In 1747 he was promoted General of the Cavalry
He died in 1761, as governor of Breda.
Marriage and issue
William married on 31 October 1724 in Hoym with Princess Charlotte Wilhelmine (1704–1766), daughter of Prince Lebrecht of Anhalt-Bernburg-Schaumburg-Hoym, with whom he had the following children:
- Charlotte (1725–1798)
- married in 1765 Count Alfred August of Ysenburg and Büdingen in Waechtersbach (1717–1782)
- William (1726–1726)
- Frederick (1727–1777), who succeeded him as Landgrave of Hesse-Philippsthal-Barchfeld
- married in 1772 Countess Sophie Henriette of Salm-Grumbach (1740–1800)
- Philip (1728–1745)
- Johanna Charlotte (1730–1799)
- Caroline (1731–1808)
- Ulrika Eleonora (1732–1795)
- married in 1755 with Landgrave William of Hesse-Philippsthal (1726–1810)
- Charles William (1734–1764)
- Anna (1735–1785)
- married in 1767 Count Adolph of Lippe-Detmold (1732–1800), son of Simon Henry Adolph of Lippe-Detmold
- George (1737–1740)
- Dorothea Marie (1738–1799)
- married in 1764 Prince John Charles Louis of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Freudenberg (1740–1816)
- Christian (1740–1750)
- Louis Frederick (1741–1741)
- Adolph (1743–1803), Landgrave of Hesse-Philippsthal-Barchfeld
- married on 1781 to Princess Louise of Saxe-Meiningen (1752–1805)
- August (1745–1745)
|Ancestors of William, Landgrave of Hesse-Philippsthal-Barchfeld|