Wilhelm Schmalz (1 March 1901 – 14 March 1983) was a German general (Generalleutnant) in the Wehrmacht during World War II and a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves of Nazi Germany. Schmalz surrendered to the American troops in May 1945. He was accused of war crimes in Italy, but after 5 years the charges were dropped.
Awards and decorations
- Iron Cross (1939) 2nd Class (14 September 1939) & 1st Class (16 October 1939)
- German Cross in Gold on 8 February 1942 as Major in Kradschützen-Bataillon 59
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Knight's Cross on 28 November 1940 as Major and commander of I./Kavallerie-Schützen-Regiment 11
- 358th Oak Leaves on 23 December 1943 as Oberst and commander of Panzerbrigade z.b.V. der Panzer-Division "Hermann Göring"