|Date of birth||Stadtroda|
|Date of death||1808 Ludwigslust|
Princess Louise of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg, German: Luise, Prinzessin von Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg (born 9 March 1756 in Roda, Duchy of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg; died 1 January 1808 at Schloss Ludwigslust in Ludwigslust, Duchy of Mecklenburg-Schwerin) was a member of the House of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg and a Princess of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg and a Duchess in Saxony by birth. Through her marriage to Frederick Francis I, Grand Duke of Mecklenburg, Louise was also a member of the House of Mecklenburg and Duchess consort of Mecklenburg-Schwerin from 24 April 1785 through 1 January 1808.
Louise was the fourth and youngest child of Prince John August of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg and his wife Countess Louise Reuss of Schleiz. After the death of her mother in 1773, both she and her older sister Augusta inherited the title of co-Countess of the Limpurg-Gaildorf as one of the several heirs of William Henry, Schenk of Limpurg zu Gaildorf (d. 1690 without surviving male issue). Both sisters retained their portions of the Limpurg-Gaildorf inheritance (1/4 of Amt Gaildorf and 1/16 of the town of Gaildorf) until 1780, when they sold their share to Charles Eugene, Duke of Württemberg.
Marriage and Issue
In Gotha on 1 June 1775, Louise married Frederick Francis, Hereditary Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, eldest child and only son of Duke Ludwig of Mecklenburg-Schwerin and his wife Princess Charlotte Sophie of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld. They had six children:
- Friedrich Ludwig (13 June 1778 – 29 November 1819). He married Grand Duchess Elena Pavlovna of Russia, a daughter of Paul I of Russia and Sophie Marie Dorothea of Württemberg. They were parents of Paul Friedrich, Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin. Paul Friedrich's oldest son was Frederick Francis II, Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin (1823–1883), who succeeded as Grand Duke in 1842. Friedrich Franz's youngest child was Heinrich (1876–1934), who married Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands in 1901. Heinrich, as Prince consort of the Netherlands, became known as Prins Hendrik. His oldest granddaughter is Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands.
- Louise Charlotte (19 November 1779 – 4 January 1801). Married Emil Leopold August, Duke of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg. They were parents to Louise of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg, mother of Prince Consort Albert, and hence ancestors of the British Royal Family.
- Gustav Wilhelm (31 January 1781 – 10 January 1851).
- Karl (2 July 1782 – 22 May 1833).
- Charlotte (4 December 1784 – 13 July 1840). Married Christian VIII of Denmark. They were parents to Frederick VII of Denmark.
- Adolf (18 December 1785 – 8 May 1821).
Titles, styles, honours and arms
Titles and styles
- 9 March 1756 – 1 June 1775: Her Highness Princess Louise of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg
- 1 June 1775 – 24 April 1785: Her Grand Ducal Highness The Hereditary Duchess of Mecklenburg-Schwerin
- 24 April 1785 – 1 January 1808: Her Grand Ducal Highness The Duchess of Mecklenburg-Schwerin
|Ancestors of Princess Louise of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg (1756–1808)|