|Date of birth||Bad Arolsen, Waldeck-Frankenberg, Kassel Government Region, Hesse|
|Date of death||Nov 23, 1961 Bensheim, Kreis Bergstraße, Darmstadt Government Region, Hesse|
Princess Elisabeth of Waldeck and Pyrmont (German: Prinzessin Luise Elisabeth Hermine Erica Pauline zu Waldeck und Pyrmont; 6 September 1873 – 23 November 1961) was the youngest daughter of George Victor, Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont and wife of Alexander, 2nd Prince of Erbach-Schönberg.
Elisabeth was born at Arolsen, Waldeck and Pyrmont the seventh child and youngest daughter of George Victor, Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont (1831–1893), and his wife, Princess Helena of Nassau (1831–1888), daughter of William, Duke of Nassau. He was closely related to the Dutch royal family and distantly to the British Royal Family through his mother, a descendant of King George II of Great Britain.
She was a sister of:
- Marie, Crown Princess of Württemberg (1857–1882) who married William II of Württemberg.
- Emma, Queen of the Netherlands (1858–1934) queen consort of William III of the Netherlands.
- Helena, Duchess of Albany (1861–1922) who married Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany.
- Friedrich, Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont (1865–1946), last reigning prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont.
Marriage and family
Elisabeth married on 3 May 1900 in Arolsen, Alexander, Prince of Erbach-Schönberg (1872–1944), eldest child of Gustav, Prince of Erbach-Schönberg and Princess Marie of Battenberg. They had four children:
- Princess Imma of Erbach-Schönberg (11 May 1901 – 14 March 1947)
- George Louis, Prince of Erbach-Schönberg (1 January 1903 – 27 January 1971)
- Prince William of Erbach-Schönberg (4 June 1904 – 27 September 1946)
- Princess Helena of Erbach-Schönberg (8 April 1907 – 16 April 1979)
As great-aunt of the bride, she was a guest at the 1937 wedding of Juliana of the Netherlands with Prince Bernhard of Lippe-Biesterfeld.
At her death, she was the last surviving child of Prince George Victor and Princess Helena.
Titles and styles
- 6 September 1873 – 3 May 1900: Her Serene Highness Princess Elisabeth of Waldeck and Pyrmont
- 3 May 1900 – 18 August 1903: Her Serene Highness Princess Elisabeth, Countess Alexander of Erbach-Schönberg
- 18 August 1903 – 29 January 1908: Her Serene Highness Princess Alexander of Erbach-Schönberg
- 29 January 1908 – 23 November 1961: Her Serene Highness The Princess of Erbach-Schönberg
|Ancestors of Princess Elisabeth of Waldeck and Pyrmont|
Notes and sources
- thePeerage.com - Luise Elisabeth Hermine Erica Pauline Prinzessin zu Waldeck und Pyrmont
- Genealogics - Leo van de Pas - Princess Elisabeth zu Waldeck und Pyrmont
- The Royal House of Stuart, London, 1969, 1971, 1976, Addington, A. C., Reference: 351