|Date of birth||Munich|
|Date of death||Jun 25, 1964 Regensburg|
Princess Auguste of Bavaria (German: Auguste Maria Luise Prinzessin von Bayern) ( 28 April 1875 – 25 June 1964) was a member of the Bavarian Royal House of Wittelsbach and the spouse of Archduke Joseph August of Austria.
Birth and family
Auguste was born in Munich, Bavaria, the second child of Prince Leopold of Bavaria and his wife Archduchess Gisela of Austria. She had one older sister, Princess Elisabeth Marie of Bavaria and two younger brothers, Prince Georg of Bavaria and Prince Konrad of Bavaria.
Marriage and issue
She married Joseph August, Archduke of Austria, on 15 November 1893 in Munich. The couple had 6 children;
- Archduke Joseph Francis of Austria, born on 28 March 1895; died on 25 September 1957(1957-09-25) (aged 62)
- Archduchess Gisela Auguste Anna Maria, born on 5 July 1897; died on 30 March 1901(1901-03-30) (aged 3)
- Archduchess Sophie Klementine Elisabeth Klothilde Maria, born on 11 March 1899; died on 19 April 1978(1978-04-19) (aged 79)
- Archduke Ladislaus Luitpold, born on 3 January 1901; died on 29 August 1946(1946-08-29) (aged 45)
- Archduke Matthias Joseph Albrecht Anton Ignatius, born on 26 June 1904; died on 7 October 1905(1905-10-07) (aged 1)
- Archduchess Magdalena Maria Raineria, born on 6 September 1909; died on 11 May 2000(2000-05-11) (aged 90)
|Ancestors of Princess Auguste of Bavaria (1875–1964)|
World War I
On the outbreak of war with Italy in 1915, Augusta Maria Louise, though in her 40’s and the mother of a son serving as an officer, went to the front with the cavalry regiment of which her husband, the Archduke Josef August, a corps commander, was honorary colonel, and served a common soldier, wearing a saber and riding astride, until the end of the war.