|Birth||March 15, 1863 (Kiel, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany)|
|Death||April 23, 1948 (Glücksburg, Schleswig-Flensburg, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany)|
|Authority||ISNI id VIAF id|
Prince Albrecht of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg (15 March 1863, Kiel, Duchy of Holstein – 23 April 1948, Glücksburg, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany) was the fifth and youngest child of Friedrich, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg and his wife Princess Adelheid of Schaumburg-Lippe and was a nephew of Christian IX of Denmark. Albrecht was the grandfather of Ernst August V, Prince of Hanover through his daughter Princess Ortrud of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg.
Albrecht was recognized by a family compact of 1904 as possessing rights of succession to the Grand Duchy of Oldenburg in the event of the extinction of the reigning Grand Ducal line.
Marriage and issue
Albrecht married Countess Ortrud of Ysenburg und Büdingen (1879-1918), daughter of Count Karl of Ysenburg (1819-1900) und Büdingen on 14 October 1906 at Meerholz, Germany. Albrecht and Ortrud had four children:
- Princess Marie Luise of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg (8 December 1908 – 29 December 1969) She was adopted in November 1920 by Ernst Gunther, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein. She married Baron Rudolph-Karl von Stengal on 19 April 1934 and they were divorced on 10 August 1955, with issue. She remarried Prince Friedrich Christian of Schaumburg-Lippe on 15 October 1962.
- Prince Friedrich Wilhelm of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg (29 December 1909 – 6 June 1940) killed in action the age of thirty.
- Prince Johann Georg of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg (24 July 1911 – 23 June 1941). He was adopted in November 1920 by Ernst Gunther, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein. He was killed in action at the age of twenty-nine.
- Prince Friedrich Ferdinand of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg (14 May 1913 – 31 May 1989) married Duchess Anastasia of Mecklenburg-Schwerin on 1 September 1943. They have four daughters, five grandchildren and one great-granddaughter.
After Ortrud's death, Albrecht married, secondly, Princess Hertha of Ysenburg und Büdingen (1883–1972), daughter of Bruno, 3rd Prince of Ysenburg and Büdingen and Countess Bertha of Castell-Rüdenhausen, on 19 September 1920 at Büdingen, Hesse, Germany., with issue.
- Princess Ortrud of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg (19 December 1925 – 6 February 1980) she married Ernest Augustus IV, Prince of Hanover on 5 September 1951, with issue.
Titles, styles, honours and arms
Titles and styles
- 15 March 1863 – 19 December 1863: His Serene Highness Prince Albrecht of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg
- 19 December 1863 – 23 April 1948: His Highness Prince Albrecht of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg
|Ancestors of Prince Albrecht of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg|