Miki Kratsman is an Israeli photographer, photojournalist and activist.
Miki Kratsman was born in Argentina in 1959. He immigrated to Israel with his family in 1971. He studied photography in College of Kiryat Ono. He worked as photojournalist in Hadashot newspaper till 1993, when the newspaper was closed. Then Kratsman joined Haaretz newspaper, where he worked till 2012. He is also active in area of photography education. He was teaching in Camera Obscura College of Photography in Tel Aviv from 1997 till 1999, School for Geographic Photography of Tel Aviv from 1998 till 2006, Department of Art in Haifa University from 2002 till 2006. In 2006 Kratsman was appointed the Head of photography department in Bezalel Academy of Arts and Design and chaired the department until his retirement in 2014.
His spouse is famous Israeli fashion designer Dorin Frankfurt.
The main theme of Kratsman's work is the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Other dominant topics are architecture, space and borders. Kratsman collaborated with many artists, among others David Reeb and Boaz Arad. For years, Miki Kratsman is documenting Palestinian territories. He follows personal stories and brings into harsh focus the violence that became a daily life of Palestinian territories.
In addition to exhibiting his own works, Kratsman also curates exhibitions in different galleries and museums in Israel.
- 1994 Bugrashov Gallery, Tel Aviv
- 1996 Gallery of Bezalel Academy of Art and Design, Jerusalem
- 2001 Nelly Aman Gallery, Tel Aviv
- 2002 Nelly Aman Gallery, Tel Aviv
- 2003 The Israel Museum, Jerusalem
- 2007 Secured Area, Chelouche Gallery, Tel Aviv
- 2009 Works, Chelouche Gallery, Tel Aviv
- 2010 Deleitosa, Solo project at ARCOMadrid, Madrid
- 2010 Targeted Killing, Media City Seoul 201, Korea
- 2011 All About Us, Ursula Blickle Foundation, Germany
- 2012 AS IT IS. On Miki Kratsman's Photography, MUSAC Museum for Contemporary Art, Leon, Spain
- 2012 AS IT IS. On Miki Kratsman's Photography, La Virreina Centre de la Imatge, Barcelona, Spain
- 2013 People I met. Chelouche Gallery for Contemporary Art, Tel Aviv, Israel
- 2014 Solo project, Photobooth, ArteBA Art Fair, Buenos Aires
Miki Kratsman participated in many group exhibitions around the world, including Umm al-Fahm Art Gallery, Umm al-Fahm, Israel; Neuberger Museum of Art, New York City; Tel Aviv Museum of Art, Tel Aviv, Israel; Herzliya Museum of Contemporary Art, Herzeliya, Israel; Tel Aviv University Art Gallery, Tel Aviv, Israel; Museum on the Seam, Jerusalem; Haifa Museum of Art, Haifa, Israel; The Jewish Museum, Frankfurt;
American University Museum, Washington D.C.; The Jewish Museum, Amsterdam; Santiago Museum of Contemporary Art, Santiago, Chile; Jewish Museum, New York; Jewish Museum, Berlin; Ormeau Baths Gallery, Belfast.
Awards and Fellowships
- 2011. Gardner Photography Fellow. Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology, Harward University.
- 2011. The EMET Prize for Art, Science and Culture in Photography.