|Date of birth||Jyväskylä, Jyväskylä sub-region, Central Finland, Finland|
Ismo Leikola (born 22 January 1979) is one of the most successful Finnish stand-up comedians. His achievements include four nationwide concert hall tours and boasting four different two-hour one man shows. He has also appeared in numerous TV shows, released two DVDs and three comedy song singles. In addition to his productive career in Finland he has been building an international presence for many years by performing at various festivals and respected professional comedy clubs around the world.
In 2014 he won the ’Funniest Person in the World’ competition organised by the Laugh Factory in the US. Leikola’s English speaking career has been welcomed with excellent international reviews along with excited audience feedback in several countries.
Awards and reviews abroad
- "Leikola is the Scandinavian Mitch Hedberg; an oddball with a few extra twists." **** -The List-
- "An excellent ambassador for stand-up." **** -Three Weeks-
- "For a man speaking his second language, Ismo Leikola is uncannily incisive, charismatic and entertaining." **** -The Dubliner-
- "The wonderful Finn Ismo Leikola bringing the house down with his daft "foreigner abroad" shtick. Even something as apparently obvious as us Brits using pounds for currency and for weight was given unexpected twists. He's got an entertaining off-kilter mind and a gift for comic misunderstanding which probably made him the hit of the night." -Chortle -
- London Laughing Horse (2008) New Act of the Year, 3rd place.
- London Comedy Store (2013) in King Kong Show, 2nd place.
- Laugh Factory Hollywood / Las Vegas (2014) winner of The Funniest Person in the World competition.
Gigs around the world
- Edinburgh: One man show at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe in 2007, 2008, 2014.
- London: Soho Comedy Club, Top Secret Comedy Club, Comedy Café, London Comedy Store.
- Ireland: International Bar, Galway Comedy Festival.
- Norway: Oslo Stand up Festival, Latter Comedy Club.
- Iceland: Comedy Club at National Theatre.
- Sweden: Stockholm Comedy Festival, Raw Comedy Club, Norra Brunn Comedy, Maffia Comedy Club.
- New Zealand: Classic Comedy.
- Singapore: Comedy Masala.
- Australia: Mic at Hand, Happy Ending, Cafe Lounge.
- Others, including Germany, Spain, Switzerland and Belgium.
- London Comedy International Showcase at Pleasance, Islington 2014.
- USA: Laugh Factory in Hollywood and Las Vegas 2014.
Ismo performing in English: https://www.youtube.com/user/ismofinnishcomedian
TV-shows and movies in Finland
- ”Ismo (Fictional comedyseries about Ismo´s life)” , (2015, Elisa Viihde, now filming)
- Love FAQ, panelist (2014, Liv TV)
- Show Me the Funny Finland (stand up-competition for beginners), guest judge in 2013 and 2014 and special performance in the final 2013 (2013-2014, TV2)
- The Truth about Love (2013, TV 1)
- The Good and Bad News, guest panelist (2012, TV 4)
- Kristiina's Election Grill for politician's, roaster (2012, TV 4)
- Have I Got A News For You, guest panelist (2011, TV 1)
- Elixir, losing weight and hosting (2011, TV 4)
- National Treasure, host (2010-2011, TV 2)
- Smoking booth, writer, performer (2010, Voice / TV 5)
- Bolt the movie, voice actor (2008)
- Finland for Sale, co-host, writer, actor (2009, TV 1)
- Comic Factory, stand up-comic (2006, TV 2)
- Act!One (Stand up/Comedy Show), writer, performer (2006, TV 2)
- Talk show Hyppönen Enbuske Experience / later Tuomas&Juuso Experience, performer and writer in show`s stand up-section (2003-2006, TV 4)
Awards in Finland
Six times winner of the Audience Favourite Comedian Award at the largest annual stand-up festival in Finland. Best New Comer 2003.
Written and co-written sketches and jokes for TV and a play for theatre. Occasional columns for newspapers. His comedy, of course.
Released DVD:s and singles (comedy songs)
- Ismo’s first DVD ”Good Gig and Hell of Extras” (2008) - sold platinum.
- Ismo´s second DVD ”Ismo Leikola Grows as a Person” (2013) - sold gold right after its release.
- Pendolino-single (2013)
- Mitä jos me silti voitetaan-single (featuring Pirjo Heikkilä) 2013
- Moottoritie on kesken-single (2015)
- Ismo also performs with a band consisting of Finnish leading musicians, performing comedy songs.