|Date of birth||Madrid, Community of Madrid, Spain|
|Awards||Grand Cross of the Order of Isabella the Catholic, Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Falcon|
|Authority||ISNI id VIAF id Library of congress id|
Infanta Elena, Duchess of Lugo (Elena María Isabel Dominica de Silos de Borbón y de Grecia; born 20 December 1963) is the first child and elder daughter of King Juan Carlos I of Spain and Queen Sofía of Spain, and third in the line of succession to the Spanish throne. She has a younger sister, Infanta Cristina, and a younger brother, King Felipe VI.
Infanta Elena has represented her family abroad on several occasions, having travelled to Germany, the United Kingdom, the United States, Argentina, Japan, Peru, and the Philippines.
In 1987, Infanta Elena met her future husband while she was studying French literature in Paris.
She married Jaime de Marichalar y Sáenz de Tejada, son of the Count and Countess of Ripalda, on 18 March 1995, in Seville Cathedral, Seville, at which time her father conferred on her the title Duchess of Lugo for life. The couple has two children: Felipe (born 17 July 1998) and Victoria (born 9 September 2000)
On 13 November 2007, it was announced that she had separated from her husband. In November 2009, the Spanish media reported that she and her husband would divorce, although a rumour to that effect had been circulating for a year before the announcement was made. Their divorce papers were signed on 25 November 2009. The Duchess and Duke of Lugo were divorced in December 2009. On 21 January 2010, the divorce was registered at the Civil Registry of the Spanish Royal Family. It was officially announced on 9 February 2010, that Jaime de Marichalar was no longer permitted to use the ducal title and that he was no longer considered to be an official member of the Spanish Royal Family.
Titles, styles, honours and arms
Titles and styles
- 20 December 1963 – 3 March 1995: Her Royal Highness Infanta Doña Elena of Spain
- 3 March 1995 – present: Her Royal Highness Infanta Doña Elena of Spain, Duchess of Lugo
The Infanta's style and title in full: Her Royal Highness Doña Elena María Isabel Dominica de Silos de Borbón y de Grecia, Infanta of Spain, Duchess of Lugo.
- Spain: Dame Grand Cross of the Order of Charles III
- Spain: Dame Grand Cross of the Order of Isabella the Catholic
- Spain: Dame of the Royal Cavalry Armory of Seville
- Spain: Dame of the Royal Cavalry Armory of Zaragoza
- Austria: Grand Star of the Decoration of Honour for Services to the Republic of Austria
- Belgium: Grand Cordon of the Order of Leopold I
- Chile: Grand Cross of the Order of Merit
- Greece: Grand Cross of the Order of Honour
- Guatemala: Grand Cross of the Order of the Quetzal
- Iceland: Grand Cross of the Order of the Falcon
- Italy: Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic
- Japan: Grand Cordon (Paulownia) of the Order of the Precious Crown
- Jordan: Grand Cordon of the Order of the Star of Jordan
- Luxembourg: Grand Cross of the Order of Adolphe of Nassau
- Nepalese Royal Family: Member First Class of the Royal Order of the Three Divine Powers
- Netherlands: Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Orange-Nassau
- Norway: Grand Cross of the Order of Saint Olav
- Peru: Grand Cross of the Order of the Sun of Peru
- Portugal: Grand Cross of the Order of Christ
- Portugal: Grand Cross of the Order of Prince Henry
- Sweden: Recipient of the 50th Birthday Badge Medal of King Carl XVI Gustaf