Juan Fernando Ortega (born March 2, 1957) is a singer-songwriter in contemporary Christian music. He is noted both for his interpretations of many traditional hymns and songs, such as "Give Me Jesus" and "Be Thou My Vision", and for writing clear, easily understood songs, such as "This Good Day".
Ortega was born and raised in Albuquerque, New Mexico near the banks of the Rio Grande. He started learning piano at eight years of age. Through his father's work with the United States Department of State, he also spent time in Ecuador and Barbados. His family lived in Chimayo, NM for eight generations, which has been cited as an influence on his music.
Ortega graduated from Valley High School and The University of New Mexico, where he received his bachelor's degree in music education.
It is from his heritage and classical training at The University of New Mexico where Ortega derives his sound, embracing country, classical, Celtic, Latin American, world, modern folk and rustic hymnody.
- In a Welcome Field (1991/2000)
- Meditations of the Heart (1992)
- Meditations of the Heart Encore (1993)
- Hymns and Mediations (1994)
- Night of Your Return (1996)
- This Bright Hour (1998)
- The Breaking of the Dawn (1998)
- Give Me Jesus - EP (1999)
- Home (2000)
- Camino Largo (2001)
- Storm (2002)
- Hymns of Worship (2003)
- Fernando Ortega (2004)
- Live In St. Paul - DVD (2004)
- BEGINNINGS (2005)
- The Shadow of Your Wings: Hymns and Sacred Songs (2006)
- Christmas Songs (2008)
- Come Down O Love Divine (2011)
- Other Appearances include:
- Calvary Chapel Music Praise, Vol. 1 ("How I Love You Lord" and "Teach Me Your Ways")
- Calvary Chapel Worship Alive, Vol. 1 ("I Will Delight" and "Lord, Listen to Your Children Praying")
- Next Door Savior ("How Deep the Father's Love For Us")
- The Making of a Godly Man ("Jehova, Señor De Los Cielos" and "Jesus, You Are My Life") (1997)
- The Odes Project ("Sing Allelu" and "I Stretched Out My Hands")
- Unknown Albums: "I Will Sing the Wondrous Story" and "O For a Thousand Tongues to Sing"
Storm reached No. 197 on the Billboard 200 in 2002.
Christmas Songs reached No. 36 on the Billboard Christmas Album Chart in 2009.
- Bluegrass Song: "Children of the Living God"
- Inspirational Album: Home
- Special Event Album of the Year: City on a Hill (various artists)