|Date of birth||Philippsthal, Hersfeld-Rotenburg, Kassel Government Region, Hesse|
|Date of death||Dec 25, 1849 Meiningen, Schmalkalden-Meiningen, Thuringia, Germany|
|Awards||Gold Sword for Bravery, Order of St. George, 4th class, Order of Saint Anna, 2nd class|
Ernest Constantine, Landgrave of Hesse-Philippsthal (8 August 1771 in Philippsthal – 25 December 1849 in Meiningen) was a member of the House of Hesse and Landgrave of Hesse-Philippsthal from 1816 until his death.
Ernest Constantine was the youngest son of the Landgrave William of Hesse-Philippsthal (1726-1810) from his marriage with Ulrika Eleonora (1732-1795), daughter of Count William of Hesse-Philippsthal-Barchfeld.
Until 1796 he was an officer in Dutch service. In 1797, he acquired the porcelain manufactory in Volkstedt (a suburb of Rudolstadt), which he sold two years later.
In 1808 he became Grand Chamberlain of the Jérôme Bonaparte, the King of Westphalia. After the dissolution of the kingdom of Westphalia, Ernst Constantine succeeded his brother Louis as Landgrave of Hesse-Philippsthal in 1816. He also re-entered Dutch service, where he was appointed general.
Marriage and issue
Ernest Constantine married on 10 April 1796 in Rudolstadt with his first wife Louise (1775-1808), the daughter of Prince Frederick Charles of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt (1736-1793), with whom he had the following children:
- Frederick William (1797-1797)
- Ferdinand (1799-1837)
- George Gustav (1801-1802)
- Charles II (1803-1868), who succeeded him as Landgrave of Hesse-Philippsthal
- married in 1845 Duchess Marie of Württemberg (1818-1888)
- Francis (1805-1861), created Baron of Falkener in 1841
- married in 1841 (morganatically) Mary Catharine Kohlmann (1819-1904)
He married his second wife on 17 February 1812 in Kassel. She was his niece Caroline (1793-1872), a daughter of his elder brother Prince Charles of Hesse-Philippsthal. From this second marriage he had the following children:
- Victoria (1812-1837)
- William Edward (1817-1819)
|Ancestors of Ernest Constantine, Landgrave of Hesse-Philippsthal|