Carlos Becker Westphall is a Full Professor, since 1993, at the Federal University of Santa Catarina, Brazil. He is the founder of LANOMS (Latin American Network Operations and Management Symposium), and of the Network and Management Laboratory at the Federal University of Santa Catarina.
He has contributed to IEEE, as secretary and vice-chair of CNOM (Committee on Network Operation and Management), and as member of IEEE Communications Society Membership Programs Development Board; to IFIP as member of WG6.6 - Management of Networks and Distributed Systems; to Elsevier as editorial board member of the Computer Networks Journal; to Springer as board of editors and senior technical editor of the Journal of Network and Systems Management; and to International Academy, Research, and Industry Association as Latin America Liaison Board Chair.
Obtained a degree in Electrical Engineering in 1985 and a M.Sc. degree in Computer Science in 1988, both at the Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil. Obtained a D.Sc. degree in Computer Science (Network and Service Management) in 1991, at the University of Toulouse, France.
Honors, awards and achievements
- Paper selected from ACM International Middleware Conference, Workshop Proceedings, 2003 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Extended Version at Wiley Journal - Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience, 2004.
- Tutorial at IEEE/IFIP NOMS 2010, in Osaka, Japan.
- Best paper of CLEI 2011, in Quito, Ecuador. Extended Version at CLEIej 2012.
- International Academy, Research, and Industry Association Fellow, and Award Plaque, in 2011.
- Keynote speech at GlobeNet 2012, in Reunion Island, France.
- Paper at IEEE ComSoc Technology News, in 2012.
- Tutorial at WorldComp 2013, Achievement Award, and Slides, in Las Vegas, USA.
- IEEE Communications Society 20 years member, Certificate of Appreciation, in 2013.
- Best paper of ICN 2013, in Seville, Spain. Extended version at IJANS, in 2014.
- Tutorial at NetWare 2014, in Lisbon, Portugal.
- Paper selected from ICN 2014, in Nice, France. Extended version at IJAIS 2014.
- Panel at Forum RNP 2015, in Brasília, Brazil.
- Keynote speech at ConSerpro 2015, in Florianópolis, Brazil.
- Tutorial at NexComm 2016, in Lisbon, Portugal.
- Paper selected from ICN 2016, in Lisbon, Portugal. Extended version at IJANS.
- Presentation at CyberSecurity 2016, in Brasilia, Brazil.
- Tutorial at NexComm 2017, in Venice, Italy.
Westphall has published a paper in 1984 entitled "Receiver for modem in accordance with CCITT Recommendation V.22, in Portuguese", enabling the development of this modem in Brazil. He has presented the first master thesis about network management in Brazil, entitled "Proposition for Data Communications Management Functions" in 1988. He was the youngest Full Professor in Brazilian Federal Universities with 31 years old, in 1993. Supervisor of the first thesis of Ph.D. Program in Computer Science at the Federal University of Santa Catarina, in 2000. The thesis was entitled: "Design, Development and Analysis of a Management System for Secure Telecommunication Networks". He has more than 450 publications and has contributed in more than 370 Organizing and/or Technical Program Committees for conferences in the field of Computer Networks and Network Management. Other important contributions was published in the papers entitled:
- "Performance evaluation for proactive network management", in 1996;
- "Distributed Network Management Using SNMP, Java, WWW and CORBA", in 2000;
- "Decentralized Network Management Using Distributed Artificial Intelligence", in 2001;
- "Grids of Agents for Computer and Telecommunication Network Management", in 2004;
- "Grid-M: Middleware to integrate mobile devices, sensors and grid computing", in 2007;
- "Intrusion Detection for Grid and Cloud Computing", in 2010;
- "A Cloud Computing Solution for Patient's Data Collection in Health Care Institutions", in 2010;
- "SLA Perspective in Security Management for Cloud Computing", in 2010;
- "Toward an Architecture for Monitoring Private Clouds", in 2011;
- "Environment, Services and Network Management for Green Clouds", in 2012;
- "Provisioning and Resource Allocation for Green Clouds" in 2013;
- "Optimizing Green Clouds through Legacy Network Infrastructure Management" in 2014; and
- "Cloud resource management: a survey on forecasting and profiling models" in 2015.
- "Model for Cloud Computing Risk Analysis" in 2015.
- "Decision-theoretic model to support autonomic Cloud Computing" in 2015.
- "Towards a Framework for VM organisation based on Multi-Objectives" in 2016.
- "RACLOUDS - Model for Clouds Risk Analysis in the Information Assets Context" in 2016.
- "A distributed autonomic management framework for cloud computing orchestration" in 2016.
- "A Framework and Risk Assessment Approaches for Risk-based Access Control in the Cloud" in 2016.
- "A Model for Managed Elements under Autonomic Cloud Computing Management" in 2016.
- "Preserving Privacy with Fine-grained Authorization in an Identity Management System" in 2017.
- "Cloud identity management: a survey on privacy strategies" in 2017.