|Date of birth||Karlsruhe, Karlsruhe Government Region, Baden-Württemberg, Germany|
|Date of death||Oct 27, 1963 Spaichingen, Tuttlingen, Freiburg Government Region, Baden-Württemberg|
|Awards||Royal Order of the Seraphim|
Berthold, Margrave of Baden (Berthold Friedrich Wilhelm Ernst August Heinrich Karl; 24 February 1906 – 27 October 1963), was the son of Prince Maximilian, Margrave of Baden and Princess Marie Louise of Hanover and Cumberland. From 1929 until his death, he was the head of the House of Zähringen, which had reigned over the Grand Duchy of Baden until 1918.
Marriage and children
He married Princess Theodora of Greece and Denmark, daughter of Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark and Princess Alice of Battenberg, on 17 August 1931 in Baden-Baden, which made him the brother-in-law of Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. His bride was also his second cousin, through Christian IX of Denmark.
The couple had the following children:
- Princess Margarita Alice Thyra Viktoria Marie Louise Scholastica of Baden (Salem, 14 July 1932 - London, 15 January 2013), married, civilly, in Salem on 5 June 1957 and religiously on 6 June 1957 Prince Tomislav of Yugoslavia, and had issue; divorced in 1981.
- Prince Max Andreas Friedrich Gustav Ernst August Bernhard of Baden (b. 3 July 1933), married civilly on 23 September 1966 at Salem and religiously on 30 September 1966 at Persenbeug Castle, Austria, Archduchess Valerie of Austria, and has four children.
- Prince Ludwig Wilhelm Georg Ernst Christoph of Baden (b. Karlsruhe, 16 March 1937), married civilly in Salem on 21 September 1967 and religiously in Wald, Lower Austria, on 21 October 1967 Princess Anna Maria (Marianne) Henrietta Eleonora Gobertina of Auersperg-Breunner (b. Zseliz, Hungary, today Želiezovce, Slovakia, 15 December 1943), and has three children:
- Princess Sophie Thyra Josephine Georgine Henriette of Baden (b. Heidelberg, 8 July 1975)
- Prince Berthold Ernst-August Emich Rainer of Baden (b. Heidelberg, 8 October 1976)
- Princess Aglaë Margarete Tatiana Mary of Baden (b. Heidelberg, 3 March 1981)
He died on 27 October 1963, aged 57, in Spaichingen. He was succeeded as Margrave and Head of House by his son Max.
References and notes
Berthold, Margrave of Baden
House of ZähringenBorn: 24 February 1906 Died: 27 October 1963
|Titles in pretence|
|Preceded by |
Prince Maximilian of Baden
|— TITULAR — |
Grand Duke of Baden
6 November 1929 – 27 October 1963
Reason for succession failure:
Grand Duchy abolished in 1918
Prince Maximilian, Margrave of Baden